Word Study will be starting by the 3rd week of school if not sooner. You will be receiving a copy of how to sort at home with your children, as well as a spelling menu for you child to choose activities from each night to complete for homework in their homework journal. Below is also a copy of the Word Study Sorting Guide.
The children will be getting 4-5 High Frequency words added to their spelling words every week. The children will be responsible for knowing how to spell these words as well as know how to use them in a sentence. They will be in their agenda written under the Spelling section.
Word Study Sorting Guide
- Cut out sort
- Put headers at the top of your sorting area
- Have your child say the headers out loud (short vowels say their sound, long vowels say their name) oddball does not match either header and does not fit the pattern.
- Have your child pick a word card, say the word and then compare it out loud to the header cards. (ex: “mad-cat”, “mad-cake” , “mad has the same sound as cat, therefore it has a short vowel sound” ) They will then choose which header it belongs to. They will do the same for the picture cards, however they will not be responsible for knowing how to spell them.
- They should do their entire sort this way talking out which words go where and why they go there.
- Your child will work on this in class and should also be working on this nightly at home.